Public Information Officer
- Represent department or agency when working with offices of elected officials at the county, state, and federal levels.
- Prepare and present information regarding agency administered programs to community providers.
- Work with Deputy Director to plan and implement marketing of agency programs.
- Coordinate special events and activities. Instrumental in set up, preparation and media involvement for agency activities and media interaction.
- Identify customers and success stories for the use of media personnel.
- Research/gather information for data collection purposes.
- Write, edit, proofread and copy edits documents for online presentation and print publications.
- Coordinate/review Web site content to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information/images.
- Manage annual agency Combined Charitable and Operation Feed Campaigns.
- Assist secretary with agency Holiday Help program.
- Prepare letters in response to customer, community, government or other agencies requesting public assistance information.
- Provide back up for customer advocacy.
- Provide desktop publishing, layout, design, typeset and camera-ready/print-ready copy of agency print materials.
- Direct supervision for assigned staff in deputy director's absence.
- Serve as back up to deputy director in providing direction to Information Support Services staff in regards to emergent situations and handling media relations.
- Work closely with vendors to request quotes and place orders.
- Generate purchase order requests.
- Serve on committees/task forces and prepare media releases.
- Responsible for submitting proper invoices to fiscal department.
- Coordinate speaking engagements and attend speaking events/community events as an agency representative.
- Utilize social media applications to promote agency programs and services.
Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field with three (3) years of communications, journalism, public relations, or related experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Knowledge of public relations; supervision; human relations; agency policy and procedures; interviewing.
- Skill in word processing; office equipment operations.
- Ability to deal with a variety of variables in somewhat unfamiliar context.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers; calculate fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Copy material accurately and recognize grammatical and spelling errors; proofread technical materials, recognize errors and make corrections,
- Use proper research methods in gathering data.
- Originate and/or edit articles for publication; gather collate and classify information about data, people or things.
- Handle sensitive inquiries from and contacts with officials and general public.